Admiring the incredible work of Japanese artist Takashi Nakamura. The freelance illustrator graduated from the Design Academy of Omiya and is currently residing in Saitama prefecture, part of the Greater Tokyo Area. He depicts scenes and details of ordinary life in a style influenced by reading manga, hence the precise line work and light applications of color. The illustrations are all handmade starting with a faint draft and then patiently painting textures and colors with gel ink pens.
You can see follow the artist on his his website and on Tumblr.
Images: Courtesy of Takashi Nakamura.
Christoph Niemann is an illustrator, artist and author whose work has appeared in The New York Times Magazine, Wired and The New Yorker. We love all of his work but our eyes gravitate to the original ink and pencil drawings of his travels. We get a glimpse of the artist on an interview with The Talks:
â€œActually, I can say that the steps that lead to my finished drawings are very unspectacular. Itâ€™s more like with a sculpture, where I chip away piece by piece from a stone and slowly get closer to the final form â€” to hopefully have an elegant form where the reader is in any kind of way emotionally touched. But creating never happens in those big gestures that the final product suggests in the end. Itâ€™s a rather boring film that plays in my head.â€
â€œThere is so much frustration that is necessary in this process: it is difficult, itâ€™s difficult when you draw, 80% of it can be fine and then there is a pretty high chance that the last 20% gets messed up again and I have to start from the beginning. And when you have to erase an idea, thereâ€™s always this pain to let something go and restart. But I think the most important difference between a person who is successful in art and a person who is not successful is how much frustration a person can take without losing this childish enthusiasm.â€
You can follow the artist on his website, Facebook and Instagram. Some of his prints are available here in his shop.
Images: Courtesy of Christoph Niemann.
Often times less is really more as shown in these line drawings of Pablo Picasso.
Images: Courtesy of Various Online Sources